I have been running Cooker on my laptop for a few weeks, but yesterday I did a
clean install of 9.1 on a desktop (Via C3).
First impression is that the whole package is very nice. The installer is
clean and simple, KDE3.1 is very pretty, and the Mandrake tools are a lot
more responsive than previously. The fonts are great, even without importing
the Windows fonts.

Naturally it would not be Linux if there were not a few little niggles. So
here are a few I found which may help others.

The Samba browsing app komba2 (on Contrib) is broken. When you close it, it
uses 100% CPU. Have to use LinNeighborhood or Gnomba instead.

This time Mdk installed the Alsa sound driver instead of the usual OSS driver.
It took me a while to realise that you have to use two mixers. Aumix has to
be set before Kmix has any effect.  Both Aumix and Kmix default to 'mute'
(Perhaps one day someone will do something about that)

There is a nice new app called 'drakclub'  to set up your Mandrake Club urpmi
sources for you. However there does not seem to be anywhere for you to learn
about its existance.
Similarly there is a nice app called urpmi.setup to help you define other
urpmi sources, but again no menu entry for it.

Once you set up your urpmi Mandrake Club source any downloads started from
rpmdrake fail. This is because of the way the club servers are set up, and
the fact that rpmdrake uses curl for downloading. The solution is to use
urpmi from the command line with the --wget switch. Deno from Mandrake Club
says they are working on that problem.

At present any urpmi installs are flaky due to the load on the servers. Just
keep hitting retry, and they will work eventually.

Overall the experience so far is delightful. Good job Mandrake :-)

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net