Hi

I don't have the same card; but basically have the same problem. Mandrake 9.0 works out of the box on my Toshiba laptop. But with 9.1, X seems to struggle. The configuration fails, and I am not able to start X even if I set my card manually. Right now I am using the Vesa driver. Any good card should support this. With Vesa I am able to get my usual resolution of 1024x768x24. My card is an S3 SuperSavage. My guess is that the problem is with XFree86 4.3 ? Mandrake 9.0 used XFree86 4.2.

srinivas

On Saturday 29 March 2003 09:08 am, Leo Abbott wrote:
> I am knowledgeable about Windows (and DOS) but a Linux greenhorn. I bought
> Mandrake 9.0 Power Pack several weeks ago and used Expert install to get
> all the partitions and hardware right. Worked great with every thing I
> tried-mostly exploring the desktop and Internet. Screen 1024x768 16bit
> with NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/64.
>
> Yesterday I downloaded the last 9.1 ISO and ran an upgrade. Upgrade
> successful, reboot. Ended up with 3 screen flashes, a black screen and a
> logon prompt. Logged on but could not load KDE or any Xwindow. Logoff but
> could not shut down so turned it off, rebooted same story. Tried Install.
> Carefully checked Video setting: said NVIDIA TNT2, the only choice. Same
> result. Error messages about improper shutdown and:
> (EE) NVIDIA 0 failed to initialize the Nvdriver kernel module!
> (EE) NVIDIA ***aborting***
> (EE) Screen(s) found. But none has a useable configuration
> fatal error: no screens found.
> XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0,0"
>
> I am on Dual boot, Windows first drive, and Linux on a second drive. One
> option is to wipe Linux and reinstall 9.0 which works. But before doing
> that is there some way to get 9.1 to use video card and screen as nicely as
> 9.0 did?
>
> I will hold off hoping for advice that will save 9.1.

You are right. I have the same card in one of my computers and it works great
under 9.0. I'm afraid I haven't endeavoured into 9.1 to be able to share
experiences with you, but what you say discourages me to upgrade

Teilhard Knight
The Extraterrestrial

Who ate my sandwich?

Say it now. Say it online. http://www.msn.co.in/ecards/ Send e-cards to your love