Leo Abbott wrote:

I am knowledgeable about Windows (and DOS) but a Linux greenhorn.  I bought
Mandrake 9.0 Power Pack several weeks ago and used Expert install to get all
the partitions and hardware right.  Worked great with every thing I
tried-mostly exploring the desktop and Internet.  Screen 1024x768 16bit with
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/64.

Yesterday I downloaded the last 9.1 ISO and ran an upgrade.  Upgrade
successful, reboot.  Ended up with 3 screen flashes, a black screen and a
logon prompt.  Logged on but could not load KDE or any Xwindow.  Logoff but
could not shut down so turned it off, rebooted same story.  Tried Install.
Carefully checked Video setting: said NVIDIA TNT2, the only choice.  Same
result.  Error messages about improper shutdown and:
(EE) NVIDIA 0 failed to initialize the Nvdriver kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA ***aborting***
(EE) Screen(s) found. But none has a useable configuration
                fatal error: no screens found.
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0,0"

I am on Dual boot, Windows first drive, and Linux on a second drive.  One
option is to wipe Linux and reinstall 9.0 which works.  But before doing
that is there some way to get 9.1 to use video card and screen as nicely as
9.0 did?

I will hold off hoping for advice that will save 9.1.
Leo

Did you have the proprietary nvidia drivers installed? It looks like that can screw up X on an upgrade, though obviously it's no problem on an install.

Sir Robin

--
"A Perl script is "correct" if it gets the job done before your boss fires you."
- Larry Wall

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi