On Sunday March 30 2003 06:15 am, Angus Auld wrote:
> Greetings,
> I am just in the process of moving from the 2.4.19-24 to the
> 2.4.19-32 kernel. I would like to ask the list; would compiling the
> 2.4.19-32 src rpm before installing it be the equivalent of doing a
> kernel recompile on an installed kernel? Will the same possible
> performance improvement be realised?
>
> I have already downloaded the 2.4.19.32mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm and the
> kernel source rpm, but when I tried to "rpm --rebuild" the kernel
> package, I get about 85megs of requires packages.
>
> Is this a worthwhile effort?

  That's not the rpm you want. You want the kernel-source rpm. It's on
your CD's. Use rpm -Uvh to install it. Don't forget to start with
'make mrproper' as the first step. Rename .config  before you do tho.
Copy it back afterwards.

  If you want to compile for a specific arch (there's really no value
in doin so IMO), then either run 'make xconfig' and change the arch
from i586, or simply edit this part of the .config file and use 'make
oldconfig'

# CONFIG_M586=y               <-- comment out this line as shown
# CONFIG_M586TSC is not set
# CONFIG_M586MMX is not set
# CONFIG_M686 is not set
# CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII is not set
# CONFIG_MPENTIUM4 is not set
# CONFIG_MK6 is not set
CONFIG_MK7=y             <-- uncomment this line and change to =y
                             as shown
   ** the above example compiles for Athlon **

 Compiling for M686 or MPENTIUM* might actually degrade performance.
 YMMV, and you won't know til ya try it ;)  Go here before you try,
 http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/index.html#ku