On Sunday March 30 2003 11:08 am, Angus Auld wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Tom. I am very confused as to the process
> here. I have upgraded my kernel once in 8.2, and again in 9.0. I
> thought that the idea of a src rpm was to rebuild it against your
> particular arch and hardware, and then install it like any other
> rpm. (using the correct method for kernel "install" rather than
> "upgrade" of course). What is the purpose of the .src.rpm for the
> kernel?

   You would rebuild that 2.4.19.32mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm for your system
and arch, but in the process you end with a sh!+load of kernels you
don't want or need. IE, the SMP kernel, the PPC kernel, Linus-kernel,
and several others. That's why it was so large and had so many
dependencies. IOW's it's a collection of all Mandrake source for
various kernels. You only need the kernel-source rpm for the type of
kernel you use.

  Sorry, I should'a explain that better in my earlier reply. But ya
really ough'ta read over the mandrakeuser.org kernel link. It usually
explains things better than I do. Actually the whole site does. I get
confused too ;)
  http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/index.html#ku

     OTOH, let me interject some experienced opinion ( I always do
anyhow ;)   Compiling for your specific arch above i586 will only
provide imagined improvement. Rarely anything measurable. Believe me,
I've been tryin to prove myself wrong on this for years. Pushin
optimizations too far will most often present more problems. Only the
little bit of software specifically optimized to take advantage,
would benefit anyway.  Optimizing for Athlon FPU/cycle advantages
over Intel does provide a touch better performance, but mostly, with
most all apps, its imagined too.
      Damn, Jr damn near won Texas again