On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 08:20, Rachel wrote:
> Hi, How do I install - manually, a modem on Mandrake 9?  It was
> installed before.  Its a crappy 28k.  I tried to install two different
> 56k's but they were not 'seen' and suprisingly this isn't either.  It's
> given me a massive headache.
> Also, about SAMBA - how do I set up username passwords again?  I can
> browse my husbands XP but he cannot browse mine.  I lost the text file I
> had saved the how to's you guys gave me.  NT is proving to be the
> hardest to network for some reason.
> Thanks in advance,
> Rach

When you were having the probs installing the modems - did you seek out
the drivers for those particular modems, or just wait for MDK to find
them? Sometimes, you'll find that winmodems will be found quite easily
with the correct drivers installed and compiled - most with
Rockwell/Conexant chipsets work wonderfully well under any version of
linux (not always with RedHate, but MOST - especially MDK).

You might want to chuck out the 28.8k and try one of the other modems
again - just go to http://linmodems.org and check for the proper drivers
against the chipset you see onboard the PCI modems...that shouldn't
prove to be too hard...

Samba is actually SO easy to setup/configure and install - especially
when you're using Webmin for it's configuration in conjunction with
SWAT...or you can directly edit the /etc/samba/smb.conf for it's
configuration and then just restart the smb services (drakxservices and
choose stop then choose start). NT isn't always fun to play with -
especially when there' strange IP subnets and the likes...but hey, some
folks like pain, others like pleasure...

--
Mon Mar 31 08:30:00 EST 2003
 08:30:00 up 9 days, 20:17,  4 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.05, 0.05
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
 linux user:267497 * MDK 9.1 * PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Consulting
 machine no:194239 * RH 7.3 * Sales - Service - Support - Tutor
** This messages was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer **

Hope is a waking dream.
                -- Aristotle