Hi.

On Wed 2003-04-02 at 07:44:00 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Nah...it is a fresh Mandrake 9.1-install where I have added both PPP and
> RP-PPPoE afterwards. RP-version is 3.5-3 which I downloaded from
> rpmfind.net.

The only 3.5-3 I find there is for some "PLD Linux Distribution". They
seem to be similar to Mandrake, because they once took their rp-pppoe
package (you can see that in the changelog), but I wouldn't imply too
much into that.

> I will try to remove that version and install 3.5-2 in case
> something is misbehaving because of that. It should not normally be
> so I guess,

Yes, that *is* normally so. You may not expect rpms for one distro to
work on another. You wouldn't download some driver for Windows NT when
you have Windows ME, would you?

That they both use the same "installer" (RPM) doesn't necessarily mean
that they are compatible. If you are lucky, a package works on a
different distro. Either because all Linux based distributions are
created using the same software pool or because the other distro has
the goal to be compatible to the other one (early versions of Mandrake
were full compatible with RedHat).

An exeption is when a RPM is explicitly declared to be a general one.
But that also only implies that it will work on the more common Linux
based distros.

> but I have learned that when dealing with computing and you have a
> problem it is usually the cause that you don't believe that is
> actually the cause.

What you have is variant of the 9.0/9.1 mixup I assumed, only worse: a
9.1/other mixup.

> I'll get back to ya people when I have tried that

Yes, always nice to hear, if a suggestion helped.

   Benjamin.