On Wednesday 02 Apr 2003 2:49 pm, Christopher Shaffer wrote:
> I've got a general Linux (or I should say, non-windows) question.  Why do
> most (if not all) Linux web browsers not support the Backspace key as
> 'Back' in the web browser.  'Back' is something you hit all the time, and
> I'd rather use a keyboard shortcut than generate all those mouse miles
> sliding up to the 'Back' button on the toolbar that is all the way up at
> the upper left hand corner of the window.  I know, I know.  ALT+LeftArrow
> is the keyboard shortcut in most of the Linux browsers.  But that's one
> single width key, and on 1.5 width key that I've got to navigate to hit,
> while the Backspace key is a double width key, in a very prominate
> location.
>
> I'm not flaming, or trolling.  This is a very serious question to me.  Is
> there a reason why Backspace could not be captured by the browsers?  Is it
> already defined at the system level for something else?  Or is this a
> desicsion that's made by each browser's developer community.
>
> Also, I was curious if anyone else had thought about this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Well in Konqueror you can select Settings>ConfigureShortcuts and make any key
bindings you like.

But for ease of use give Opera a try. Not only does it use Backspace for
'Back' by default, but it also supports 'mouse gestures' which means a small
mouse movement to the left with the right button down will take you back a
page. There are many other useful mouse gestures. Give Opera a try in Windows
too. You will wonder why you used IE for so long ;-)
http://www.opera.com/features/mouse/

Galeon also supports mouse gestures, but IMO they are not so nice to use.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net