On Thursday 03 Apr 2003 10:03 am, Netsonic wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> I have downloaded and tried to install Mandrake 9.1. The install itself
> runs OK, but when I load up KDE, there are no desktop icons whatsoever.
>
> All the previous Mandrake versions I used had a handful of icons there for
> things like 'Home', 'CD Rom' etc in the top left hand corner of the screen.
>
> Also when the KDE loads, the mouse pointer changes to an egg-timer type
> pointer as if its waiting for something to finish. It stays like this for 5
> or 6 minutes, and then still no desktop icons.
>
> The menus and taskbar are available and work OK.
>
> Right clicking somewhere in the middle of the desktop does nothing, whereas
> there used to be a context menu appeared for things like desktop
> configuration.
>
> Gnome loads with the icons OK, just nothing for KDE.
>
> Has anybody else experienced this ??

Yes, I experienced this the first time I installed 9.1

In my haste to install it, I overlooked adding a user and so therefore I was
running as root. The solution that worked for me was to create a user and
then login as that user. As you should know, the root desktop is different to
a user desktop :-)

--
Martin Foster
FidoNet - 2:250/501.2