----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Foster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 12:58 PM
Subject: [newbie] Re: ""Mandrake 9.1 Icon Problem

> On Thursday 03 Apr 2003 10:03 am, Netsonic wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody.
> >
> > I have downloaded and tried to install Mandrake 9.1. The install itself
> > runs OK, but when I load up KDE, there are no desktop icons whatsoever.
> >
> > All the previous Mandrake versions I used had a handful of icons there
for
> > things like 'Home', 'CD Rom' etc in the top left hand corner of the
screen.

> > Also when the KDE loads, the mouse pointer changes to an egg-timer type
> > pointer as if its waiting for something to finish. It stays like this
for 5
> > or 6 minutes, and then still no desktop icons.
> >
> > The menus and taskbar are available and work OK.
> >
> > Right clicking somewhere in the middle of the desktop does nothing,
whereas
> > there used to be a context menu appeared for things like desktop
> > configuration.
> >
> > Gnome loads with the icons OK, just nothing for KDE.
> >
> > Has anybody else experienced this ??
>
> Yes, I experienced this the first time I installed 9.1
>
> In my haste to install it, I overlooked adding a user and so therefore I
was
> running as root. The solution that worked for me was to create a user and
> then login as that user. As you should know, the root desktop is different
> a user desktop :-)
>
> --
> Martin Foster
> FidoNet - 2:250/501.2
> http://befido.webhop.org

Thanks, I will certainly give that a try later.

I find it hard to believe, when all the other versions gave me the same set
of icons on the root desktop though.

Incidentally, Im downloading the ISOs again as I also suspect it may be a
corrupted disc, though unfortunately I have no way of knowing which one.

Oh well!

Stevo