Xperience

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Chris Fox
Sent: 29 March 2003 4:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; robin
Subject: Re: [newbie] is this the last mandrake?

On Thursday 20 March 2003 02:33 pm, robin wrote:

> By the way, what does the "XP" in "Windows XP" stand for?  Where I come
> from, it means "experience points", but that can't be it, because in any
> decent RPG, you don't get experience points for stabbing other party
> members in the back ("Paranoia" being a wonderful exception that really
> captures the atmosphere of the IT world).
>
> And please don't answer that question by saying "RTFM".  We ain' gon'
> read no steenking Weendows manuel.

XP is a piece of crap, ME is a piece of crap, W95 and W98 were pieces of
crap,
but W2K is not a piece of crap.  When they did W2K they did something right,

and even some of my hardest-core Solaris/BSD droogies admit grudgingly that
W2K was a break from the mold.

Re: Mandrake: I fervently hope it lives forever because I happen to really
like it and of all the distros I've installed, I think it's the friendliest.

I know that doesn't carry much weight in this community and I don't mean it
in the sense of "just click" and " you don't have to read any books" or even

"watch the pretty lights, kid"; I mean Mandrake makes me want to get more
involved, while others like Debian seem to have a deliberately high barrier
to entry for the newbie.
--
Chris Fox
Server Developer