Thanks Ryan ,
I wondered whether 4QW and 8QW might be something to do with memory.But,

Ryan Moe wrote:

If you have SDRAM don't worry about it.

I have 512BM of DDR Ram.

It doesn't make a difference. However if you have DDR then setting the burst rate to 4qw instead of
8qw will make your average bandwidth the same as SDRAM (although you'll
still have twice the peak bandwidth). What m/b and memory controller are
you using?

I have a MSI K7T266 Pro2 Mobo, capable of up to 3.0gigs of memory. I cannot find a reference to the memory controller in the mobo manual. It does say you can install PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM modules on the DDR DIMM slots (DDR1-3) I believe they run on 2,5v as against 3.3v. In addition I have seen a reference somewhere that this mobo has a nForce-128 bit memory bus, but I don't think that is relevant is it .

What brand of ram do you have?  Certain brands of ram
(mostly the cheap kind) don't support some bios memory options.

I don't know. Some generic make, I think.
But if it works fine in W2K on 8QW, then it ought to work fine in Mandrake as well. I guess mandrake needs tweeking somehow ?

See, I had bios set on 4QW when mandrake was installed, only found out afterwards I could up it to 8QW, and the manual references it being faster, I thought I would try it out. Trouble is Mandrake boots up OK, I get to a login ,I login and a blue desktop arrives, but does not complete to the full thing with all the taskbar etc, and the mouse cursor hangs, indeed the whole computer hangs, I cannot even shutdown, I have to crash it.

John

Ryan