Ryan Moe wrote:

On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 03:39, John Richard Smith wrote:

Thanks Ryan ,

I have a MSI K7T266 Pro2 Mobo, capable of up to 3.0gigs of memory. I cannot find a reference to the memory controller in the mobo manual. It does say you can install PC1600/PC2100 DDR SDRAM modules on the DDR DIMM slots (DDR1-3) I believe they run on 2,5v as against 3.3v. In addition I have seen a reference somewhere that this mobo has a nForce-128 bit memory bus, but I don't think that is relevant is it .

That motherboard has a Via KT266A chipset which, from what I read seems
to have some problems.

I don't think so, never heard of anyone having problems with it.The KT266a nomenclature is something of a Mobo nomenclaute I think, the chip that works with memory is VIA, VT8366A (552BGA), which the manual stipulate is a " AGP 4X and PCI Advance memory controller "

See, I had bios set on 4QW when mandrake was installed, only found out afterwards I could up it to 8QW, and the manual references it being faster, I thought I would try it out. Trouble is Mandrake 9.0 boots up OK, I get to a login ,I login and a blue desktop arrives, but does not complete to the full thing with all the taskbar etc, and the mouse cursor hangs, indeed the whole computer hangs, I cannot even shutdown, I have to crash it.
John

It is kind of weird that it works fine in windows but not linux. Have
you tried a different version of linux?

Good thinking . Now I do have M9.1rc2 on for test purposes , so I tried booting tothat in the 8WQ bios setting and what do you know, not problem at all.

See if maybe it's specific to
mandrake or a more general problem with how linux handles memory.

I'm think it's a M9.0 configuration problem ? because if W2K , and M9.1rc2 can handle it , but M9.0 does not them it makes sense to assume that.

What happens if you boot to the command prompt instead of X?  You might
be able to find some help at http://forums.viaarena.com/.

Ryan

My AMI bios has a section "Advance Chipset Features"

In there is a section  BURST LENGTH
with the options  4QW and 8QW

According to handbook this allows you to set the size of the Burst-Length for DRAM.
The bigger the size the faster the DRAM performance.

I altered my bios setting to 8QW from 4QW and found everything boots fine in W2K,
but that Xwindows hangs on Mandrake 9.0.

It seems a pity to have to choose the slower setting just because of mandrake.
Is there any way of getting Mandrake to work with the higher setting ?

John

Could this be an X windows config Problem ? , if so I might try getting to a terminal somehow and try XFdrake.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]