On Friday 04 Apr 2003 8:08 pm, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 00:47, Arthur Kng wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> >       First up, thank you everyone for your prompt
> > help. you've really made it easier for me.
> > reading all your posts i've come up with a plan which
> > goes like this:
> >
> > (  just to remind you, i have a 20GB disk, C drive:5GB
> > having WinME(FAT32), D drive: 15GB having all my
> > data(FAT32), 128MB RAM )
>
> Don't do away with the swap. That's dangerous.
>
> If you've already gotten the mindset to set aside 10gb for your
> Win/Share data, and the remaining 10gb for everything else, make things
> even easier on yourself. "More" can be confusing.
>
> For linux, you're going to need three partitions - a SWAP, a /boot and a
> / (root) - the /home can live off the root - less partitions the better.

Sorry, Stephen, but I have to disagree.  Putting /home in a separate partition
is much safer.  There are some advantages to having a separate /boot if you
are going to run several distros, but it's far from essential, and I think
risking losing /home to a re-install or upgrade formatting the partition is a
much bigger risk (even though re-installs are not as frequent as in windows).

I know it can be backed up, but sod's law, you won't have backed up recently
when trouble does come.

> Put aside 100mb for the /boot, put aside 256mb for the SWAP, and the
> rest give to / (root) - /home can live off of the / (root) so no need to
> setup a special partition for that. You can always backup your /home
> partition to the Windows partition if any trouble comes. This way you've
> kept it simple (remember the KISS principle!!) and you're set. Use lilo
> as your boot manager to jump back and forth to Windows.
>
> This way you're not creating heaps of different partitions that are
> unnecessary.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302