Hello Stephen,

SK> usual McAfee and Symantec that MOST people use are quite
SK> ineffective to catch them right off the bat;

Speaking of bats, I use TheBat! in Windoze for email. FAR better,
safer, and more private than any M$ email software. It, too, is not
bothered by such things. I can look at the virus and do whatever I
want with it (except run it, of course). No problem. It's the M$ stuff
that's the problem.

SK> but just overall - it's the Windows "public" that suffers this
SK> inherent lack of security and has to live with the brunt of virus
SK> attacks - which only makes linux (whatever flavour) all that more
SK> attractive -

One can make Win much less vulnerable to viruses, etc, but the vast
majority of people have no idea how to do that. [First thing - use as
little from M$ as possible.]

A question: many viruses are nothing more than an executable script.
In Win, it is rare that one needs to run a script, and a 'good thing
to do' is to simply disable the scripting capability. But - in Linux,
scripting looks like it is essential. Wouldn't it be relatively easy
to write a script virus as an attachment and do the kinds of things
that happen in Win?

SK> (and it's even funnier when it's an XP machine that has to be
SK> reloaded say, seven or eight times and they have to purchase that
SK> said-same in-secure OS again...)

Interesting idea. :-))) XP was 'the line in the sand' for me. Ungodly
intrusive and restrictive. A major reason why I looked at linux.

SK> Gosh - linux is rather attractive after all, ya reckon? (g)

I rekin so, y'all.

--
Thank you,
 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]