I think it's a little bit paranoia to say you may not run PHP.  I find
it weird CGI is OK, but PHP isn't...  Both are dangerous for your system
when they are not administered well.
Apache has one parent-instance owned by root. The child-rpocesses are
run from the account you specified.  I wouldn't worry about that.

A lot of security related issues depend on how you use your machine. Is
it a webserver, or a personal desktop PC ?  In the second case, do you
have a permanent internet connection ?  Is there a router or firewall in
between ? ...

Maybe you want to read some information about IPtables... ?

Steven