On Wed, 28 May 2003 06:56 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 May 2003 9:33 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > >You know, you can just open a Konqueror window, right-click on the
> > >directory you want to archive and choose "tar" from it - it will
> > >tar/gzip it for you...just FYI.
> >
> > Not in mine it would seem ?
>
> On my right-click menu it offers Bzip2, tar and zip.  Can you define
> the difference, please, Stephen?
>
> Anne

I think I'll usurp his job and add my 2 cents...

"Tar" simply puts all the files/directories into a single archive. "Zip"
actually compresses it. Used together you get a .tar.gz, where you get the
benefit of archiving an entire directory tree (if you wish) with compression.

Bzip2 was written by Julian Seward, it's a block sorting compressor, and on
some files you can make them literally 10 times smaller than zips. But not
all Windows computers can read them (WinZip can't).

Regards,
        _nasturtium

--
_nasturtium