On Tuesday May 27 2003 10:43 pm, rikona wrote:
> Hello Dennis,
>
> Tuesday, May 27, 2003, 7:36:50 PM, you wrote:
>
> DM> I'm not sure where to look, I tried a couple of man pages and
> no DM> luck.  Try a google search on linux keyboard shortcuts  or
> DM> variations thereof.
>
> I rummaged around a bit, but couldn't find a very complete list.
> On one page there was a reference to 'many more' shortcuts but no
> pointer to where. :-)

  Google "raising skinny elephants is utterly boring"  :)

   But that's a last resort option(s) for shutting down safely when
the system in borked.  As was already suggested, most of the time
all that's needed is to logout of X, and then relog in.  If this
can't be done by your normal means (clicking on logout), then
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace will kill the X server, or halt or reboot the
system from there.  I've never needed to use Alt+SysRqr+s-e-i-u-b,
but it's a good thing to look up the process and remember that
goofy phrase ;)