On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 00:27, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 01:54:51PM +0200, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> >
> > Meanwhile, let's fight back with with their own weapons (FUD) :
> > Tell everybody about about the back-doors, spyware, bugs,
> > viruses, trojans etc., etc... in their crappy OS and why we
> > don't need it in any way, manner, shape or form.
>
> Is there someplace on the net where all this stuff is described and collected,
> with actual quotes of sources or references to them?
>
> -- hendrik

You can start with:

www.spywareinfo.com

...then you can go to any antivirus site (well, go to Panda and F-Prot
and Kaspersky) and show them all the stuff that's available for Windows;
then you can go simply to:

www.astalavista.com

...and show them all the stuff for hacking Windows and other Microsoft
products.

It's very easy to build a "Horror Show Presentation" about any Microsoft
OS and MS IE, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express.

Even easier to just state that there are more than 82,000 viruses; 13 of
them affect linux/unix - and those 13 live in labs and not in the
"wild". Microsoft products account for literally 99% of all viruses
spread. Microsoft products are built to literally allow your Email
client and your browser to install programs and run programs that you do
not even know are running; hence it's easily bent to use as a backdoor.
Microsoft OS's are built in such a way as to literall broadcast
themselves once they're either connected to the internet, or to a
network. And they're not just broadcasting the fact they're there,
they're broadcasting every open port and vulnerability they have.

--
Sun Jun  1 07:40:00 EST 2003
 07:40:00 up 1 day, 16:49,  3 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.19, 0.16

Jargon Coiner (#7)

An irregular feature that aims to give you advance warning of new jargon
that we've just made up.

* O'REILLY O'WRITING: Going to a bookstore and copying down notes from an
  O'Reilly computer book that you can't afford.

* DEEP WRITE MODE: Similar to "deep hack mode", but applies to people
  writing editorials or (very rarely) Slashdot comments. The author
  of this fortune file sometimes experiences "deep humor mode".

* EDITORIAL WAR: Skirmishes between two or more parties carried out via
  strongly-worded editorials published to sites like Slashdot, Linux
  Today, etc. ESR and RMS are frequently engaged in this.

* THREENYM: Referring to someone by the first letter of their three names.
  Used by some people (RMS and ESR), but not others (has anybody ever
  tried to refer to Linus Torvalds as "LBT"?).