On Tuesday 03 June 2003 15:02, Stephen Kuhn wrote:

> Wow - I would have assumed (key word => assumed) that if you
> have the ability to read cyrillic in any other application
> (and the font set is installed) you'd be able to read it in
> ANY application under ANY window manager or desktop...

Jeez how glad I was if it was so! But for me it has never
worked.
Russians use at least three different encodings. Docs they send
are some windows encoding, OOo handles this OK if the fonts are
there. Mail is usually KOI8, KMail reads it OK but no other
mail client that I've tried (mutt, pine, sylpheed - I look for
lightweight). Other KDE apps handle cyrillic with various
success, depending on where it appears (app window - yes,
titlebar usually no, etc.etc.) I have actually considered
changing to ALT Linux (Russian distro) but this has its own
problems plus their community mail list is Russian-only and I
am veeery slow on a cyrillic keyboard.

Wahur