Trying to play a dvd from the library on 9.1 with vlc and get the picture but no sound. after fiddling with the sound through the preferences menu, still no go.

Xine: crashes.
Mplayer: no audio
every other one: won't even start

with ogle I get the following from the term:

<snip>
libdvdread: Elapsed time 3
Debug[ogle_ctrl]: _new stream bf, 0
Debug[ogle_ctrl]: _new stream e0, 0
Debug[ogle_ctrl]: Started /usr/lib/ogle/ogle_mpeg_vs with pid 9963
Debug[ogle_mpeg_vs]: Using MMX accelerated media functions
## video_stream:req cap
Debug[ogle_ctrl]: _new stream bd, 80
Debug[ogle_ctrl]: Started /usr/lib/ogle/ogle_audio with pid 9964
video_dec: shmid: 71893014
video_dec: data_buf shmid: 71827476
## video_stream:got cap and stream
vs: get ouput buffer
Debug[ogle_ctrl]: got capability video_out
horizontal_size: 720, vertical_size: 480
padded_width: 720, padded_height: 480
frame rate: 30000/1001 (29.97)
*vs: offset not valid
decode: B-frame before forward ref frame
*vs: offset not valid
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
Debug[ogle_audio]: decode_a52: found sync
Note[ogle_audio]: Using audio driver 'alsa'
[ogle_alsa]: Opening device: default
decode: B-frame before forward ref frame
*vs: offset not valid
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:866:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: Device or resource busy
[ogle_alsa]: error while opening alsa.
: Device or resource busy
FATAL[ogle_audio]: failed opening the alsa audio driver at default
Debug[ogle_ctrl]: child: 9964 exited with 1

I've installed everything remotely related to DVDs. any suggestions?