On Sunday 08 June 2003 08:43 pm, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Greg,
> I have printed all man pages - help files and whatever I could track on the
> net.
> As usaual you need a lot of knwhow to really combine commands for specific
> job.
> It would have been very nice if a manual with examples of what to do. Maybe
> such is available and I missed it?
>
> 1) What is the sequence of  commands to update from "xxxwebsite"

You first need to set up the source repository you want to use.  One of the
best tools you will find is the one for helping you set up your sources.  It
is available as a script on a web page that will give you the commandss to
paste into your console, or a gui app that runs locally but requires you to
be connected.  The web page is available at
http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php.  The local app is called
urpmi.setup.  Run it from the command line as root.  If it is not installed,
it is part of the base distro, so if you did not remove your urpmi sources
from your install, you can "urpmi urpmi.setup" to get it installed.

> 2) After (1) is done - what to expect?

ANy time you want to install something, just type urpmi <oackagename>.  urpmi
will download and install the app as well as any dependencies required.  It's
that easy.  To remove something, use urpme.

> 3) Will you be able to pick what to update?

to update, you can either use urpmi --auto-select to update everything that is
installed, or just use urmpmi <packagename> again. If it is installed but a
newer version is available in one of your sources, it will download and
upgrade.

> 4) Will all the files be downloaded irrespective of what is installed on
> system?

No, just what you want to upgrade.

--
Gregory K. Meyer, CPA