From: Derek Jennings [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2003 12:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mini ITX form factor

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 10:08:40 -0500
Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Saturday June 7 2003 02:39 pm, Aron Smith wrote:
> > Has anyone installed Mandrake on a mini ITX form factor board?
> > I'm thinking the 800 Mhz with a 30 GB slim disk would fit in the
> > radio slot on my Jeep real nice.(and I would be able to play any
> > format wav Mp3 Ogg Vorbis etc.
>
>    I don't (wouldn't) have one. The VIA-Cyrix processors report
> themselves as i686. They're not, they're not even fully i586,
> retaining some i486 only capabilities.  Mandrake i586 installs on
> these systems can be a problem, as when a i686 cpu is reported, the
> install will try to use /lib/i686/ libraries for a little more
> optimization. The VIA C3 cpu's won't work with i686, and barely
> with i586.  http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/90errata.php3#viac3
>
>     I believe 9.1 is fixed to cope with VIA C3's. There's quite a
> bit of info on the Web about C3's. One bit is the 800mhz C3
> performs at about 400mhz levels due to dated design and inadequate
> L caches. It's really only the old Cyrix cpu with VIA's name tacked
> on. You might wanna do a lot more checking before goin for one of
> these systems, specially for multimedia use.
> --
>     Tom Brinkman                  Corpus Christi, Texas

Mandrake 9.1 installs perfectly on Via C3's even with i686 libraries
Mandrake 9.0 has to be tweaked.
The latest generation of C3 with the 'Nemenhiah' core is fully compliant with i686.

Where the performance of ITX boards falls down is in the performance of the graphics chips set used on them.
The Linux drivers 'aint great. 2D is fine. 3D you can forget about.
Where they are good, is in general computing environments where raw power is not necessary, and low power/noise/small form factor is required.

Several ITX mobos also come with raw 12V DC input making them perfect for mounting in a car which I believe is what the original poster wanted to do.

derek