On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:29:31 -0300
Cody Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I need a second annoymous FTP account called "r-and-e". I need it to
> be in folder /mnt/network/r-and-e. The conf file and documentation
> kinda confuses me. Oh, this folder can't be witeable either.

Well, first you'll need to create the user and group. You can do that
with UserDrake or whatever you prefer for that. For the shell, you want
to specify /sbin/nologin so they can't log in to your machine as a
regular user.

>From proftpd documentation:
http://www.proftpd.org/docs/faq/linked/faq-ch5.html#AEN559

Add to your /etc/proftpd.conf file

<Anonymous ~username>
AnonRequirePassword off
User username
Group groupname
RequireValidShell off
<Directory *>
<Limit WRITE>
DenyAll
</Limit>
</Directory>
</Anonymous>

That lets them log on using whatever username you give and will take an
email addy for a password. They are not allowed to write to any
directory.

The trick is to have the ftp look in a directory that's not in /var/ftp.
You can use another directory as ftp document root, but I think you have
to"mount" it as that. See
http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/localsite/Userguide/linked/chroot-symlinks.html
for instructions on that.

HTH,