On Tuesday 10 Jun 2003 3:38 am, rikona wrote:
> Hello Jason,
>
> Monday, June 9, 2003, 4:20:48 PM, you wrote:
>
> J> Just ocassionally have a look  around for .core files and delete
> J> them.
>
> I did, and didn't find any.
>
> J> A core dump is data from that program that was in RAM at the time
> J> of the crash.
>
> I've had what seemed to be crashes - the pgm just disappears from the
> screen. Does a pgm always write a core dump if it really crashes? If
> it wasn't a crash, could it have been something else? Is there a way
> to check the status of a program, even one where I might be running
> several instances (konq, for example)?

You will find core dumps in the 'home' directory of the user running the
process. Unless you are the developer of the application they are of no use
and just a nuisance. You can configure your system to not produce core dumps.
See here
http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=2

As mentioned you can monitor your processes with 'top' or if you prefer a
graphical interface KMenu>Applications>Monitoring>KSysguard

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net