----- Original Message -----
From: John Aldrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 1999 3:02 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] UDMA don't work in 6.1 with Ali Chipset

> On Fri, 01 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> > Hopefully the VIA chipset doesn't have this problem??
> >
> The MVP does, I believe.

Now feeling officially discouraged! Starting to wonder if I ought to come
back later when it's all a bit more "machine that I can afford" friendly?
I dunno - I really don't <shrug> OK, it's not  linux flaw per se, but it's
starting to stack it all up a bit!

I had thought/hoped that linux might be the item for the job in the emerging
far east market - the machine will have to cost very little in that arena,
and an os which costs effectively half the cost of the machine would be
badly placed. So I thought in view of that, Linux would have serious hopes
of becoming a contender in the defacto standard dept. but with this and
other recently revealed issues of hardware - well it's just not going to be
is it? It a damn shame to see it miss the "global bus" for these sorts of
problems.

Regards,
Ian

[EMAIL PROTECTED]