-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of John Aldrich
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 1999 12:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] UDMA don't work in 6.1 with Ali Chipset

On Fri, 01 Oct 1999, you wrote:

> Now feeling officially discouraged! Starting to wonder if I ought to
come
> back later when it's all a bit more "machine that I can afford"
friendly?
> I dunno - I really don't <shrug> OK, it's not  linux flaw per se, but
it's
> starting to stack it all up a bit!

My suggestion: Try an Intel chipset motherboard. It's *MY* *PERSONAL*
* BELIEF* that this can be tracked down to a "prejudice" towards
Intel-based systems, whether that's due to a concious decision or
an unconscious preference, or simply lack of information on non-intel
chipsets/processors I don't know. There are some fairly inexpensive
Intel-based systems (PII can be had for under $150 for motherboard
and processor, if you know where to look!) so it's not significantly
more expensive for an Intel-only system.
Take a look at www.hitechcafe.com for inexpensive second-tier
hardware (second-tier meaning PII, etc.)
        John