On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 16:39, John Drouhard wrote:
> as root, try chmod a-rwx /etc/modules.conf, and then
> chmod +rw /etc/modules.conf
>
> That should allow you to modify it as root.

I typed- chmod a-rwx /etc/modules.conf and hit enter. That returned me
to my root login.
Then I typed- chmod +rw /etc/modules.conf  and hit enter. once again it
simply took me back to where I started, back to my root login.

> And to get scsi emulation,
> find which cd you want to be emulated (ie hdb or hdc), then edit
> lilo.conf to say something like this: ...

I'm using grub not lilo.

> Then, edit /etc/fstab and make it look like this (only the cdrom
> lines, there are many more lines):

I find no lines identified as cdrom lines. The device I'm trying to set
up is currently listed as hdb. would that be the line/s. Or will that
change if I once get my boot loader setup?

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 04:18, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Two things,
>
> add to the append line in/etc/lilo.conf  like this
> append=" hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi "
>
> then run in terminal.
> /sbin/lilo to check new lilo script is OK
>
> this will scsi-em's both dvd and writer.

As I mentioned above I'm using grub not lilo. Can I accomplish a similar
result using grub?

> change in /etc/fstab like this
> /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
> /dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto
> user,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
> this enables the new scsi-em'd devices to be mounted.

I have a stone-age SCSI 1X CD ROM drive in my system now. Would this
affect the ID as (scd0) The device I'm currently trying to get to work
under the emulation is a Samsung 48X CDRW-DVD ROM drive currently
identified as hdb, and mounted as CDRW.

Thanks for all the help. I'm determined to get this thing worked out.

LTR  }}:{(
~~~~~~~
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.bullovedbulldogs.com/