On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 21:26:36 +1000
Jon Vahlberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>(by way of Jon Vahlberg
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) uttered:

> I am making some backup CDs for some of my data CDs but would like to
> check that all the files on one CD matches the same on another CD?
> What's the best way of doing such a comparison? I could run md5
> against it but I would have to do it for each individual file - I am
> guessing there's a better way of doing it. Thanks.

"diff" might do it for you. It does handle directories if you specify
the -r switch.

That's a lotta data, though, diff could give you some horrendous amounts
of output.

I found this on google/linux:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue27/marsden.html

I also found this:

http://library.n0i.net/linux-unix/tutorials/ill-unixbsd/ch34/139-140.html#Heading1

but dircmp is not a command I can find on my MDK system, anyone know of
a Mandrake equiv?

--
 Joehill
 Registered Linux user #282046