Stephen Kuhn wrote:

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 22:53, John Richard Smith wrote:

One thing I have been meaning to ask , now that large hard drives are becoming cheap enough, is how long does it take for bootups to complete the fsck tasks on say a 120 gig drive, with a modern AMD1800 Athlon, or a similar P4 processor.

Currently I have a 40gig drive, and usually when required it fsck's at least 3 of my partitions, I have about 7 partitions it likes to keep a track on. If I bought a 120gig drive to add as say a secondary drive would it take for ever to fsck on these bootups.

John

Part of this would depend on the file system you utilise on the hard drive. XFS and ReiserFS would be rather fast, ext3/ext2 would not.

Thanks Stephen,

Seems then I'm waiting on obtaining an image programme that can handle ReiserFS or XFS so that I can create backups, then I will buy my enormous hard drive and start converting to one of the two file systems. Which is best ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]