On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 07:46, eric huff wrote:
> > > About every 4-5 seconds i get a small blip of harddrive activity.  On
> > > gkrellm it shows up usu as 66K, sometimes 106K.
>
> > > I'm running ML 9.1, with ReiserFS, if that helps.
> >
> > It does help.  Reiser accesses the drive about every 5 seconds to update
> > it's journals.  I had the same question when I was running filesystem
> > comparisions between Reiser and XFS.
>
> Ahh.  What did you decide after your comparisons?
>
> Stephen, i know you are a Reiser guy, do you get this?  Is this what
> caching might prevent?
>
> Thanks,
> eric

My light flashes about every 10 seconds - but I've also disabled FAM as
a service, and tweaked my EIDE drives with hdparm - but it's a quick
blink and nothing major - nothing ever skips a beat - even when doing
something disk intensive. Both EIDE's are ReiserFS, both SCSI's are
ReiserFS. And actually, as I'm watching it here, mine is apparently
blinking about every 12 seconds...

--
Mon Jun 16 07:55:00 EST 2003
 07:55:00 up 2 days, 15:09,  3 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.05, 0.06

If it wasn't for Newton, we wouldn't have to eat bruised apples.