Tom Brinkman wrote:
On Monday June 9 2003 11:03 am, eric huff wrote:

Just curious:
What exactly is different about the mm (multimedia, right?)
kernel? eric

For most users, more advanced/better supermount and the low latency and preempt patches. The cooker ready made rpm should have no problems on older releases. One of the rare times cooker is suitable in this regard. Latest is 2.4.21-0.18mm-mdk on cooker /contrib (RPM2) mirrors.

Ok, finally got around to this. Tried to install the mm kernel off the cooker mirror on 9.1, and it failed saying it needed shorewall >= 1.3.14-1mdk. So then I downloaded the plain old 2.4.21-0.18mdksmp kernel from one of the regular mirrors (raven.cslab.vt.edu) and installed that. It installed okay, but upon rebooting, I'm still getting the ldm_validate_partition_table messages. So it looks like this version of the kernel does not fix this problem, unfortunately. BTW, I unplugged the USB flash card reader while I was installing the kernel. Was that the correct thing to do? Should I even bother with the mm kernel, or would I get the same result from that?

Another strange thing I noticed is that after installing the 18 kernel, in /boot/grub/menu.lst, both the linux-smp entry and the 2421-18smp entry point to version 18 (the former because all the symbolic links were changed to point to 18.) So now there are two sets of SMP entries pointing to 18, and none pointing to 13. This seems like a bug to me. Or is this working as designed?

-- Guy Rouillier