On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 21:02, Adolfo Bello wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 05:40, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~prillih3/blog/stories/2002/08/03/microsoftWantsAdminPrivile.html
>
> This impacts countries national security. Many governments won't take it
> easy.
>
> A huge mistake.
>
> Adolfo

Look, all in all, no one seems to be doing anything to stop Microsoft
from ditching every anti-trust suit thrown at them and doing as they
wish no matter what. Remember the "browser" BS? Now they're ditching
"stand alone" IE for an IE that's built into the system (as if it wasn't
in the first place) - so it would appear that everything that's been
done to keep them from being a monster monopoly (all the DOJ battle?)
have been completely for naught, and have cost the US public untold
millions of tax dollars just so that Microsoft can do as they want
anyways and get away with it. Palladium and Longhorn and DRM are moving
into the "popular" stream because most of the public doesn't have a clue
as to what it is or what it does - just that Microsoft "says it's good!"
and they go for it hook, line and sinker.

It's bad enough "hypothesising" about the reality of it, but in THINKING
about the reality of it, this is even more than scary. It's more than
"Big Brother" and even more than a breach in personal privacy.

It's hard to say what the US government is going to say because they're
already doing everything they can to bypass US citizens privacy and
personal rights and if they're in bed with Microsoft, then it's really
all for naught because then it WILL go through and it WILL be pushed
upon the rest of the computing world - whether it's right or not.

Microsoft has already shown that they have really no care about privacy
or security or even offering privacy or security to "the end user" -
just as much as the US government doesn't care about personal privacy or
personal security; so hand-in-hand this would end the computing world
and/or internet privacy/anonymity as we know it now.

--
Mon Jun 16 21:20:01 EST 2003
 21:20:01 up 3 days,  4:34,  4 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.02

Good night, Austin, Texas, wherever you are!