Thank you, but I'm afraid that doesn't work either.  The alternative
driver seems to be an OSS one, via82cxxx_audio.  It also freezes my
system.

I checked on the ALSA web page and snd-via82xx does seem to be the
driver recommended for my card.  I downloaded the ALSA drivers and
re-installed ALSA on my system.  I tried with both version 0.9.4 and
0.9.0rc6, but they both freeze my system after installation, when I do
modprobe snd-via82xx.

Thanks,
Lavanya