On Monday 16 June 2003 21:57, Lavanya Vasudevan wrote:
> Thank you, but I'm afraid that doesn't work either.  The
> alternative driver seems to be an OSS one, via82cxxx_audio.
> It also freezes my system.
>
> I checked on the ALSA web page and snd-via82xx does seem to
> be the driver recommended for my card.  I downloaded the ALSA
> drivers and re-installed ALSA on my system.  I tried with
> both version 0.9.4 and 0.9.0rc6, but they both freeze my
> system after installation, when I do modprobe snd-via82xx.
>
> Thanks,
> Lavanya
This seems to be somewhat problematic chip. I wrestled it last
fall. Following instructions from the ALSA homepage to the
letter I installed ALSA drivers but never got it working 100% -
some games just remained silent or crashed (xmms and CD-player
worked OK as well as KDE sound). It did not crash on my comp,
fortunately.
As I am not really demanding about sound quality but wish
everything in good working order, I disabled this onboard Via
crap-chip from bios and stuffed just another cheapo SB clone
into my box. Works without a hitch.

Wahur