On Monday 16 June 2003 19:42, you wrote:
> You don't need a router, but a second NIC in your linux box would allow
> you to create the best setup.  This would go something like:
>
> Windows machine connects to your first NIC either via the hub or via the
> crossover cable.  As you have a hub, might as well toss the crossover
> cable and connect via the hub.  So you now have two connections to your
> hub: the W$ box and let's assume eth0 on your linux box.  Set eth0 on
> your linux machine to 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 and set the
> address on your wife's machine to 192.168.0.2 same subnet.  Set the
> gateway on the W$ machine to 192.168.0.1 and DNS addresses to your
> provider's addresses.
>
> Now the W$ box and linux can ping each other.  Don't go further until
> they can.
>
> Now connect your second NIC to the cable modem and set it up in the same
> way as is working for you right now.  You should now have internet from
> linux, but not yet from Windows.
>
> Download gShield from http://muse.linuxmafia.org/gshield.html
>
> This is one of the REALLY easy to use firewall scripts.  Edit the conf
> file and read all the very helpful comments, but all you need to set is
> that NAT is switched on.  You'll also need to enter your network address
> in NATS, but that is all very well explained in the file.
>
> Install the directory under /etc/firewall as instructed and run it.  Now
> the W$ machine has internet access with your linux machine as a very
> effective firewall.
>
> Post again if you have trouble with gShield and I can send you a
> pre-configured file.

So then there's no way to do it with one card? Hmm, I was hoping it was
possible. After all, I could see the modem on the hub from her machine. I
suspect that if I connect the modem to the hub again that I could now see it
with my machine. I just couldn't before because I had configuration problems
probably due to running 8.1 (which some on here have pointed out is a little
on the flaky side).