On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 18:40:39 -0700
Aron Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 05:09, Todd Slater wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 02:08:59AM -0700, Aron Smith wrote:
> > > I Finaly got the USB Flashdrive working in a R/W mode but where my
> > > WinDoze box sees it as 2 32mb drives my Linbox only sees it as one
> > > of the drives any Ideas on how to reformatt the drive as one
> > > drive?
> >
> > So I take it the drive *is* 2 32MB drives? If so, a recent post on a
> > USB smart media and compact flash combo reader might help; I got my
> > SanDisk reader to mount both without a hitch. I can dig that out if
> > it's what you might need.
> >
> > Todd
> At this point anything would help
> I want to get this worked out before I buy a bigger flashdrive  for my
> MiniITX project(Hellachus music player)

Thought I had something I was supposed to answer . . .

I'm quoting this from Guy Rouillier's post of June 3 2003. It helped me
set up my SanDisk CF+SM reader. It may help if you have two "devices" on
the same USB "line".

He wrote:

Sorry for the delayed response. I don't have time to write a complete
howto. However, the site I mentioned has the following Q&A:

===================
Q: Why do I only see one device from my multipurpose storage device?

A:Some distributions (notably Red Hat) turn off the kernel option
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN. This prevents usb-storage from automatically
detecting all the devices in your removable storage device. You can
either recompile your kernel with this option enabled or try;

echo >/proc/scsi/scsi "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 1"

Where IIRC, the first zero is the host (so it is zero if this is your
first "SCSI" adapter), the second the channel (which for usb-storage
should always be zero I believe), the third is the target (which again
is always 0 for usb-storage) and the last is the LUN. LUN 0 is the only
one probed if this kernel option is off, so you'd need to repeat this
command as root for every media type your device accepts.
================

Following this advice, for my CF/SM reader I added the following two
lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

echo >/proc/scsi/scsi "scsi add-single-device 1 0 0 1"
echo >/proc/scsi/scsi "scsi add-single-device 1 0 0 2"

I believe that you adjust the number of lines based on the number of
formats/slots your reader has.  The 6-in-1 devices probably need 6
lines; if your device only supports a single card type, you probably
only need one line.

Somewhere else in either the User Guide of FAQs on the Linux-USB site
discussed changing the SCSI max luns in modules.conf. I can't find the
reference at the moment, but I haven't needed to do that for Mandrake
9.1.

Note that to try this out, you don't need to update rc.local and
reboot.  You can just type the command at a terminal prompt and see what
happens.  You might have to look in /var/log/messages to see the
messages.  Here is what I see in that file. When the system first boots
up (before running rc.local) I see this:

  Vendor: SanDisk   Model: ImageMate CF-SM   Rev: 0100
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI r
Attached scsi removable disk sdd at scsi1, channel 0, id
sdd : READ CAPACITY failed.
sdd : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
Additional sense indicates Medium not present
sdd : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.

Then when the above statements in rc.local ran, I see this:

kernel: scsi singledevice 1 0 0 1
kernel:   Vendor: SanDisk   Model: ImageMate CF-SM   Rev: 0
kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI S
kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sde at scsi1, channel
/etc/hotplug/scsi.agent: sd_mod allready loaded
kernel: SCSI device sde: 16000 512-byte hdwr sectors (8 MB)

(Sorry, some got cut off, can't find a decent editor that can do column
blocks AND copy to the clipboard)  Anyway, this is right because I have
an 8 MB SmartMedia card in the reader.