On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 05:05, Aron Smith wrote:
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030617/ap_on_hi_te/downloading_music
> Just when you think that Politicians can't get any dumber

What a BS!
I asked SABAM more information about mp3's and downloading music. (SABAM
is the Belgian copyrights-company)

- It is not illegal to download mp3's from the web
- It is not illegal to own a nice mp3-collection
- It is not illegal to use this collection for private use

The only thing that's illegal is uploading mp3's or providing mp3's to
third parties in any other way.
But what is on the internet, is public property.

So...

1/ Those people shouldn't be looking for a way to punnish downloaders,
but they should look for a way to punnish the people who upload!

2/ Assuming that any mp3 is illegal, is verrrry wrong.  I'm a musician
myself, and it happens that I send my own mp3's to friends or fellow
musicians.

3/ Checking what one is downloading, is a major attack on our privacy

4/ The music industry is complaining a lot, because their income
decreases.  But they were too high anyway.  If an artist made 1 single,
he used to get millions from CD's.  Sorry, but that is not in proportion
with the effort he had to do.  Artists must work for their money, like
everybody else; playing concerts...  The music industry must expand it's
actions, and not only record a few songs and sit back for the rest of
the year!

5/ Make music cheaper, make CD's more 'customizable'.  Here in Belgium I
pay 15-20 euro for one full-CD, and mostly I like just 1 or 2 songs on
it.  Why can't I burn my own CD's, and pay only (a fair price for) the
copyrights ?

damn, this makes me angry. But I'll stop wining now :)
I'm curious what anyone else thinks about this.

Steven
PS. Isn't this a little off topic ? :)