On Thursday 19 Jun 2003 9:39 pm, Technoslick wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 15:14, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 Jun 2003 8:36 am, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> > > Were you using the most recent version of Mozilla released for
> > > 9.1? I believe it's version 1.3.1.  It's working pretty well
> > > for me. It's gets very extensive use throughout the entire day
> > > without any trouble.
> >
> > At the point of install it refused to work for me at all.  I
> > removed it, re-installed it, and it has been absolutely fine ever
> > since.  I suspect a problem in the mandrake install script.
> >
> > Anne
>
> I did the same, Anne, and I found that while it works properly, its
> really s-l-o-w. Slow to start up and slow to move along the Web. I
> was under the impression that Galeon uses the Gecko engine of
> Mozilla, or something core to it. How can it be that a Gnome app on
> a KDE platform should outperform a neutral one like Mozilla? Is it
> my system or something else?
>
> The truth is I like the pop-up control and tab feature of Galeon
> over Mozilla...I think its better and more intuitive. Then there's
> the better import capability over Mozilla. That one makes no sense
> after how long Netscape has been competing with Internet Explorer!
> Still, I do recognize that Mozilla has aspects of it that makes it
> a better choice over Galeon..for one...lack of dependency on the
> Gnome project architecture and the lack of interaction with KDE.
> There are other reasons for my believing this.
>
> Any ideas why Mozilla would be so much slower?

It's much slower to load, because it's bigger, that's all.  I don't
find it any slower, but it could be a function of processor speed?
Again, the size would make it unwieldy.  I'm not sure exactly what
you have in mind about pop-up control.  Have you something in mind
that you can't find in Mozilla?  As for tab feature, unless I
misunderstand you, Mozilla had it first.  It's a matter of finding
things in the configuration pages.  And as always, what's intuitive
for one on those lines isn't for others.

Galeon, being smaller, should be nippier on older systems, which is an
obvious plus, but it misses some things that Mozilla is good at (but
since I rarely use it I can't think of examples right now).

Since I've been a Netscape user for years before going over to
Mozilla, I'm fairly familiar with where things are on the menus.  If
there are things you can't find, ask and I'll find them for you if
they exist.

One of the things that I've found particularly good on recent distros
of both is the ability to save a search session.  Mozilla saves as
'save this group of tabs' and Galeon does it as 'save session'.  Both
are invaluable.  The thing I don't like, is that I could not find any
way of getting back a session that I had saved under Galeon/9.0 when
I changed to 9.1, whereas in Mozilla all my bookmarks worked
immaculately, including the saved groups.

What was it that you had problems with in import?

I'm only talking browser, though.  I have used Mozilla mail in the
past, but I don't now.

Anne