On 19 Jun 2003 16:39:10 -0400, Technoslick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 15:14, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 Jun 2003 8:36 am, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
> >
> > > Were you using the most recent version of Mozilla released for
> > > 9.1?
> > >  I believe it's version 1.3.1.  It's working pretty well for me.
> > > It's gets very extensive use throughout the entire day without any
> > > trouble.
> >
> > At the point of install it refused to work for me at all.  I removed
> > it, re-installed it, and it has been absolutely fine ever since.  I
> > suspect a problem in the mandrake install script.
> >
> > Anne
>
> I did the same, Anne, and I found that while it works properly, its
> really s-l-o-w. Slow to start up and slow to move along the Web. I was
> under the impression that Galeon uses the Gecko engine of Mozilla, or
> something core to it. How can it be that a Gnome app on a KDE platform
> should outperform a neutral one like Mozilla? Is it my system or
> something else?
>
> The truth is I like the pop-up control and tab feature of Galeon over
> Mozilla...I think its better and more intuitive. Then there's the
> better import capability over Mozilla. That one makes no sense after
> how long Netscape has been competing with Internet Explorer! Still, I
> do recognize that Mozilla has aspects of it that makes it a better
> choice over Galeon..for one...lack of dependency on the Gnome project
> architecture and the lack of interaction with KDE. There are other
> reasons for my believing this.
>
> Any ideas why Mozilla would be so much slower?

Mozilla is a bit of a reference implementation, with the web page
composer, email client, exotic programmable interface and so on. Galeon
is the core html engine with a lightweight interface and nothing else,
so it's quicker.

I read that this may change - that they'll split Mozilla into separate
programs.

Richard
--
Registered Linux user 246658 at