On Friday 20 Jun 2003 12:30 am, Thomas Williams wrote:
> So, I got the DSL set up. I also spent the money to get a router. I decided
> I didn't want to have to have my wife's computer depend on my machine being
> up and running all the time. While I was waiting for the router to arrive I
> got online and downloaded the iso's for 9.1. I didnt' have any problem
> whatsoever burning them. I've installed 9.1, its great, I like it so far.
> Only one little minor thing. I think I've seen someone else ask this on
> here, but I don't remember what the solution was.
>
> I still have a windows partition, its actually a whole separate drive. I
> can see that the windows partition is there, but I can't access it unless
> I'm in su mode. Now, I thought that I had the answer, I went into linuxconf
> and pulled up filesystems and found the windows partition. I set something
> marked "allow users to mount". Set it, updated it. And then tried to get
> the file manager to go there. It locked up so hard I had to reboot. The net
> result of that was that it screwed up my X-windows system and I ended up
> reinstalling one more time because I couldn't remember that fix either. It
> was thing about Xauthority.
>
> So was I on the right track? I suspect that I needed to unmount it, set
> that then mount it again. Is that right or is there another way?
>
> Tom Williams

What you needed was the umask option set. In the file /etc/fstab set up the
line for the windows partition something like this

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

The command 'mount -a' will remount your partitions

The partition will be automatically mounted at boot. You do not need users to
have mount permission for it. All you need is permission for users to
read/write to it. That is what the umask does.

derek

BTW: Could you remove the "Reply To:" field in your KMail settings please?
That is there for when you want to receive repiles to your mails on a
different account to the one you send from. If you have it set replies people
send to your mailing list posts go straight to you and not the list.

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net