On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 18:19, Crak600 - Michael wrote:
> And one more question...what is ROOT and what is it used for?  when would i
> ever have to use it and how do i get into ROOT?  ROOT is used for adding
> programs or making changes, right?

root is the superuser, as explained by all those nice people, but 'the
root' is the base of your filesystem structure too.
The filesystem is built in a tree:

 /
  |-boot          --> /boot
  |-home          --> /home
  | |-user1       --> /home/user1
  | | |-somedir   --> /home/user1/somedir
  | |-user2       --> /home/user2
  |-usr           --> /usr

The root is the lowest level in the filesystem-structure ( / ), as the
first slash in  /home/user1/somedir/...

Actually, I'm feeling a little insecure about this because no-one
mentioned it, but I'm almost sure it's correct :-)

Steven