On Friday 20 June 2003 06:01 pm, JoeHill wrote:
> This "theory" has been thoroughly debunked. Closed source software is
> just as vulnerable, if not more so (just see MS as one particularly
> egregious example). Not only that, but it is quite clear that the
> response time for closing vulnerablilities in the Open Source side is a
> fraction of that for proprietary. Open Source coders are also more
> likely to discover *potential* vulnerabilities *before* they make it to
> production because of the far superior oversight.

I agree to a point. Yes, its not as vulnerable and it is probably safe and its
been gone over well before its been put into production, but holes do happen
even with the best of programmers and the best of software. I'm not saying
that Closed source is better, only that why give a group or a nut, as the
case may be, a leg up by showing them how it all works. At least with closed
software they have to discover that on their own.

All I'm saying is that I happen to agree that there are instances where
perhaps the GPL is not necessary. As someone else has already pointed out,
the GPL is perhaps overly complicated and that in and of its self could
perhaps be enough to suggest the government steer clear of it. How do you go
about suing the government over their violation of the GPL? Yes, it can be
done, but in some instances at what cost?

Tom Williams