On Monday 23 June 2003 11:10 am, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:

<snip>
> Me, too. "Schmeissner" ? or would that be an anachronism?
</snip>

*When I hear the word "culture", I reach for my revolver.*

The full quotation is: "Wenn ich Kultur höre ... entsichere ich
meinen Browning." It comes from Hanns Johst's most famous play,
Schlageter (first performed in April 1933, for Hitler's
birthday) and occurs in Act 1, Scene 1. The character who says
the line is called Thiemann.

This is usually translated as "Whenever I hear the word
culture... I release the safety-catch of my Browning!"

From the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations entry for Johst, Hanns
(1890 - 1978) German playwright.

HTH

Kaj Haulrich (who happens to trust IBM).
--
Registered Linux user  # 214073 at http://counter.li.org