I got the new disk form Maxtor today and have just made five attempts at installing
9.1 - the last one using rc2 or 3 - the install was smooth but on
 reboot, got this :
EXT3-fs error (device ide0 (3,1)): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block -
inode=259114
Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill init!

The last attempt with the power pack ended with this these 15 lines:

ide0:reset: success
hda: dma_initr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hda: dma_initr error=0x84 {DriceStatusError Bad CRC} end_request: I/O error dev 03:01
(hda) sector 1154352
EXT3-fs error (device ide-0 (3,1)): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block -
inode=719489, block 1441794
<repeats last two lines four more times... then>
ide0:reset success
Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill init!
<6> keyboard: unknown scancode e0 7a

I've had 9.1 installed successfully on this machine several times.
I understand that kernel panic is usually hardware related but that doesn't make sense
as there's no change in any hardware... except the new hard disk.

Do one of you gurus have a clue for me?

Thanks in advance