I could not install 7.1 unless I copied the cd to the hard disk and made a
boot diskette for installing from a hard disk partition.  With 7.2 beta 3
that has all been fixed and the installation program works just fine off the
cds.  Those who have problems with installing 7.1 might just go and get the
beta 7.2 and use that instead.  There are some broken links and annoying
problems with the beta (most serious bug I've come across is a
non-functioning kpackage) but at least it's easy to install!

www.lsl.com sells already-made beta cds for a few dollars a disk plus
postage, if you don't have a fast line to download the iso files.