On Saturday 21 June 2003 05:58 pm, Crak600 - Michael wrote:
> Ok, here's the situation.  my new 100GB hard drive showed up today.  i need
> to put it into the computer and get everything set up.  here's the way i
> plan to set up.....
>
> 20GB hard drive i currently have - all for windows
> 100GB hard drive - 80GB for mandrake, 20GB for windows (that's my current
> plan, might go 60 linux 40 windows)

That sounds a little excessive to me.

80Gb for Mandrake? I wouldn't, and my space needs a little extra room. But
maybe 20Gb, if you need the temp space for video or sound editing.

I my mind, I would think in terms of some shared space for file storage and
such, so that both OSs could access it.

That way if you purged all the saved files out of Windows/My Documents and
stuck them in a partition (FAT32) that both could access, then you would be
rockin. And you probably could hold each partition to 10-20Gb with 60-80 free
for the storage of mp3s, iso images, video clips, cool freeware, and still
have room left over for archiving when you want to install a new version.
fresh.

You never told us much about how you use your computer, so its hard to help
too specifically.

My system is using a 6Gb partition for Mandrake, with 13Gb free for Mp3 and
iso image storage, then I have a network drive of 13Gb which is largely
empty. And I am planning to make that drive a 40Gb RAID later this summer for
space (the mp3s need off my machine's drive) and data security.

Rob
--

Linux: For the people, by the people.