hi,
I run XP and Mandrake 9 on same drive - LILO my bootloader.
On installing Mandrake it picked up XP and configured it & LILO was written
to MBR.
What I found was that Mandrake and LILO do a better job on discovering and
config of additional OS's than Redhat.
Now when I boot GUI come up - pick windows and then
XP loader comes up - there you go.
My system works fine.
**
Here is something I did on the  PC of my wife(MS win 95 only)drive - I
installed a second drive as slave - installed Mandrake on 2nd drive -
Mand/LILO picked up all - BUT wrote the configuration to the  1st (primary
MBR) drvie.
Now if you remove slave( permanent) the LILO boot up still works for
Win&linux. To get rid of this - in dos fdisk /MBR and you are back to MS -
on XP you will probably need the repair function to correct this.

Refer to my letter on list - to multi boot - you can boot more than 2 OS'S
on 1 drive.
Refer to position of drive on cable - can NOT cunfuse win or linux - (unless
your PC is ancient - when you had you set links on drive  & correct position
on cable  and some dip switches) it will be your BIOS that may get confused.
BUT CAREFULL if you move your drive hda to hdb or hdc and make it your boot
by removing all  in front boot up- linux WILL get confused (windows in this
case do not care everything just become C again.Sorry for linux but this is
true)
Set the hardware BIOS detection all of it on auto - it will work fine. I
chop and change drives(7 HD's) at will (only drive link importend) and it
works every  time.I have these mobile rack and trays.
To make this easy set your cdrom/s to slave and all harddrives to master. If
you have 2 cdroms then each as slave one on a cable with a harddrive. Trust
this may help
you to decide.
Johan