On Monday 23 Jun 2003 5:27 pm, Crak600 - Michael wrote:
> ok, since my new ram showed up this morning (system is now up to
> 768MB), i decided it was time to install the ram and the hard
> drive.  opened up the computer to check where everything was on the
> ribbons and see where i'm going to plug in the hard drive.  the
> current hard drive and CDRW are on the same ribbon (havn't checked
> to see which is slave and which is master yet). from the posts
> others have left about data transferring from one drive to the next
> and bottlenecking, i figure the best way to set this up is to put
> the new hard drive as a slave to the floppy drive.  well, the
> connector on the ribbon for the floppy drive isn't the right size
> for the new hard drive, and the ribbon the CDRW and other hard
> drive are on only has 2 connections.  so i have to go out and buy a
> new ribbon.  figures!

Hold it - you can't put a hdd on a floppy connector - that's why the
cable is a different size - it has fewer wires.

> my only other possibility is to use the 3rd IDE connection on the
> motherboard, BUT, the motherboard wasn't new when i got it.  bought
> it from a friend who assembled the computer for me.  he tried to
> put the floppy, hard drive, and cdrw drive each on their own
> ribbon, but said the 3rd ribbon port on the motherboard wouldn't
> work.  he couldn't figure out why.  i can try to use it, but he
> took his time putting the computer together and couldn't get it to
> work no matter what he tried.  i'll have to wait 3 more weeks til
> he gets back from his honeymoon to get into detail with him on
> everything he tried.

You could try the other connector again - Make sure that you have the
jumper set to 'master' and the bios set to auto-detect for each
drive.  Check whether the bios is seeing the drive.

Another ribbon will not help you - 2 devices per ribbon is your max.
What might help is an add-on pci card that will give you additional
drive connectors.

Anne