On Monday 23 June 2003 10:30 pm, Allan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know why Mandrake 9.1 seems to come up with different
> results each time I install it?  I installed it twice on my machine and
> another time on a friend's machine.  On my system the end result was
> different each time, with minor differences showing up in KDE.  (I've
> since switched to Window Maker and love it.)  However, the WindowMaker
> default setup varies between users added on the same system.  For
> instance, some users by default had the wmCalClock dockapp and others
> didn't, some have an "extra" WPrefs dock icon, etc.
>
> Also, I wanted to help my friend get started with Linux, but when we
> were installing it, it didn't show a lot of packages to select from.  In
> particular, I wanted to install Window Maker and Aterm.  Neither showed
> up in the package selection screen during initial installation or
> afterwards with rpmdrake.  I thought it might be because my friend has
> an older machine (~400 MHz CPU, 64MB RAM, etc.), but KDE and Gnome
> installed okay so I don't think it's the hardware support that's
> lacking.  IceWM installed successfully, but it still runs slower than
> Win98 on the same computer (dual boot).
>
> Anyone know why the install is different each time?  How can I get
> WindowMaker onto my friend's computer?  Why would IceWM run slower than
> Win98?  (Sorry for so many questions, but I felt they're all related
> somewhat.)
>
> Thanks,
> Allan
I often wonder the same thing. I just had to do a minor reinstall on the
machine that would not play xmms. Guess what, it now plays. I choose all the
same packages and input the answers on the setup and yet now it works when
before it didn't.  Oh, well. Mysteries are for solving.
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842